Skip Navigation LinksSt. Joseph Elementary School > chapter-2-GENERAL INFORMATION > section-2-03-History of the School

​​

History of the School

St. Joseph elementary school opened its doors to 93 scholars in September 1928, staffed with five teachers from the Sisters of Providence.  There was gradual growth through the years until 1953, when additional classrooms were added, bringing the number to sixteen.  In 1955, the school reached its peak enrollment of 1,030.   The presence of the Providence Sisters gradually decreased during the 1970s.  Growth to the physical plant over the years included more classrooms, a new faculty room, a health room, and additional office space.

Within the last 20 years, the school has renovated the old convent to house the kindergarten classroom and computer room and installed a new playground.  In 2015, major renovations made possible by a grant took place. A new plaza, an eating area, classroom and bathroom renovations, and new asphalt in both parking lots were completed. This summer 2020 major renovations were again made possible by a grant. Hallway and office floors, classroom window shades, electrical upgrades, and playground and an additional shade structure were completed​

 

 

Handbook Title Graphics (1)Handbook Title Graphics (1)
Handbook Title Graphics (2)Handbook Title Graphics (2)
Handbook Title GraphicsHandbook Title Graphics

 Topics

 Resources