Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Print this topic

7.2.12 Frequently Asked Questions​​​

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The ABC Math Group is holding tutoring classes for children in the parish hall. It holds classes one evening per week and on Saturdays throughout the school year. The parents/guardians pay the math group directly and the math group pays the parish 10% of the proceeds. Do I need a written agreement? Should the math group teachers complete VIRTUS® training and be fingerprinted, and if so, who is responsible for overseeing these requirements?​ 

A written agreement is required. The math group must perform background checks as well as fingerprint the teachers and this must be specified in the agreement. The agreement must also specify that the math group provide insurance and indemnity to the parish and that the teachers complete VIRTUS® training.

John Doe will conduct a six-week after-school enrichment music class at school for students of the school. The school will charge the students and pay John a fee. There is no charge for John's use of the classroom. Do I need a written agreement? Do I require John to be fingerprinted and to complete VIRTUS® training? 

Since the school is paying John, the school and John should enter into a written Service Ag​reement setting out the rights and responsibilities of each party. John must be fingerprinted, provided with VIRTUS® training, and listed with VPIN before classes start.

AARP is holding a community meeting in a classroom on a Wednesday night from 7:00 to 8:30 pm. No children will be at school. The location is not charging a fee for the use of the classroom. Do I need a written agreement? Do I need to perform background checks?

An Outside User Agreement​ should be used. There is no need for background checks, fingerprinting, or VIRTUS® training because there would be no contact with minors.

The Girl Scouts are holding their troop meetings in the parish hall. There is no charge to the Girl Scouts for use of the hall. The scout leader is a parishioner and the Girl Scouts are both parishioners and non-parishioners. Do I need a written agreement? Do I need to perform a background check and fingerprint the scout leader? What about VIRTUS® training? 

An Outside User Agreement would be appropriate. The Girl Scouts would be responsible for background checks and fingerprinting​ as the Outside User Agreement specifies. The scout leaders should attend VIRTUS® training since they are supervising children from the archdiocesan parish or school.​

ABC School wants to lease five of our classrooms and two offices for two years. What kind of document do I need? 

ABC School's proposal should be submitted to the Real Estate Department in advance of any use. The proposal will need to be approved, negotiated, and incorporated into the archdiocesan standard Lease. It must be signed by the appropriate person at the archdiocese.

XYZ Film Company has proposed to film a short story in the parish courtyard. Filming will only occur on one Saturday. XYZ Film Company says it is a nice story and involves a priest. Father Joe has been told that he may have a cameo appearance. The company gave me a written agreement to sign. Can I sign it? 

NO! First ask to read the entire script and make sure the story conforms to Catholic teachings and morals and depicts the facility appropriately. If it conforms, permission must be obtained from the Real Estate Department, since it involves a for-profit company. The arch​diocesan User Ag​reement for Film​ would be the appropriate document.

The school wants to use its kitchen to provide hot meals to the students. We plan on opening this project to the school's parents/guardians so they can work on their volunteer hours. Is this OK?

NO! A Retail Permit issued by the county's department of public health is required before you can serve food to students. The kitchen must meet certain minimum standards, which you can find in the Summary Checklist of Essential Kitchen Elements for School Food Service by Outside Vendor and/or School Staff. Contact the Construction Department or Office of the Legal Counsel before you proceed with any food service project.

The parish pays for ESPN and wants to broadcast a televised event for the enjoyment of the parish community. No admission will be charged, but the parish plans on selling food and beverages and hopes to raise funds for the school as a result. Is this allowed?

NO! The parish must obtain and pay for a license from ESPN to rebroadcast the event, since the parish​ plans to profit from the broadcast by selling food. Failure to obtain the required license will result in significant fines against the parish. The parish may also be required to turn over any and all profits realized to ESPN.​​